Wednesday, April 6, 2011

DIY Mercury Glass

I Luuuuuurve the look of mercury glass.  I have been seeing it a lot lately in design magazines and on oodles of blogs.  I have a couple mercury glass pieces, but I want more!!  My husband says that’s my motto…..I want more! 
So anyway…..I have a ton of clear vases that are just hanging out in my garage collecting dust and pollen.  My wheels were spinnin’ about what I could do with these vases.  So, to Google I went!
I Googled “DIY Mercury Glass” and found a great article on Martha Stewart about making your own mercury glass.  I don’t know about you guys, but all of her tutorials seem so vague to me!!  I need some serious step-by-step instructions, people!!!  But, I could actually handle this tutorial.  It was pretty straight forward. 

{via}
All I really needed was the Krylon Looking Glass spray paint.

Three ridiculous days & 5 home improvement and craft stores later, I still could not find the Krylon Looking Glass spray paint!!  No one in my town carries it!  I could have ordered it off of Amazon by now and it would have been here in 2 days!  UGH!  So, I checked one last place that I always forget about…..Ace Hardware.  No luck there either.  But, I did find an alternative (or so I hoped).  It is Krylon’s Chrome Aluminum spray paint.  It still had that “mirrored” finish that I was looking for.  So I bought it & thought I’d give it a whirl.  And IT WORKED!!!   Woo-hoo!
So here’s how you do it:
You will need:
  • a squirt bottle filled with water
  • a clear vase or votive holder or candlestick or whatever else you want to make into mercury glass
  • Krylon’s Looking Glass spray paint OR Krylon’s Chrome Aluminum spray paint
IMG_5112
First, you need to make sure your vase is clean so give it a good rinse and wipe down first. 
Then, you are going to mist the inside of the vase with the squirt bottle.  You don’t want to douse the inside and puddle it with water.  You just want to mist all around the inside.
IMG_5116
It should look something like this when you’re done misting:
IMG_5117  
See all the little beads of water?  That’s what you want!  That’s what is going to give it the “aged” or “antiqued” look you’re going for.
Next, you want to lightly spray the inside of the vase with the Looking Glass or Chrome Aluminum spray paint (use the rules of spray painting with this project too!  Light, even coats does the trick).
IMG_5119
You really only need to do one or two coats (depending on how dark you want it to be).
Turn the vase upside down on a ventilated surface (a cooling rack will be just fine).  I have a basket that has a “mesh” top and so I just sat it on that.
IMG_5122Let the vase dry overnight.
When it’s all dry, it will look something like this:
IMG_5124 
IMG_5123
IMG_5125
This is a different vase that I did a couple of weeks ago.  It looks A LOT better in person!  The pictures just don’t do it justice! 
This is a simple project that took me all of about 10 minutes!
If you try it, let me know how it turns out! 






Amy

One Month To Win It
 

39 comments:

  1. Oh, super cute! I've never heard of these. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this idea! you're so crafty and your blog is stinkin' cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea! And your step-by-step (ppersonal details) tutorial is great! yvette@twistedvines

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmmm, perhaps this is the answer to softening the clear glass light fixtures in my house! Great idea and lovely final product!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hiya, I'm a new follower. Just found your blog today. Can't wait to read more.

    What a great DIY

    shellseaoberski.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. love it. you did a great job. I've found looking glass in Hobby Lobby, if you have one near you, you may want to check there for the future.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love it! Now I really want to try it myself!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like this idea and plan on doing one myself! Off tot he thrift store to find a vase...

    ReplyDelete
  9. this is an AMAZING idea. I really am going to try it. THANK YOU!!!

    kathryn
    www.thedragonsfairytail.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great idea - I will have to try it.
    Found you on the Sunday Showcase.

    ReplyDelete
  11. AAAHHHH! I have the chrome aluminum paint!!! This so great -- I LOVE Mercury glass! And I know I have lots of old, glass vases - who doesn't! Trying this for sure! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is such an amazing idea! I also have lots of old glass vases - can't wait to pull some out and try this!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That looks great! Who would have thought it would be so simple to create your own mercury glass!

    I would love if you came over and linked this project to my weekly Round Tuit party at:
    http://jembellish.blogspot.com/
    Have a great week!
    Jill @ Creating my way to Success

    ReplyDelete
  14. That looks great! Who would have thought it would be so simple to create your own mercury glass!

    I would love if you came over and linked this project to my weekly Round Tuit party at:
    http://jembellish.blogspot.com/
    Have a great week!
    Jill @ Creating my way to Success

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great tute! I love mercury glass too! I have been wanting to try something like this, but haven't gotten around to it. Do you have a hobby lobby near by? They carry the looking glass spray paint. It's sort of pricy...about twelve dollars, but you could probably use a 40% off coupon. I would love for you to come link up to my Sew Crafty Party !

    ReplyDelete
  16. That looks great!! Thanks for auditioning for OMTWI!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I just found your blog and have been looking through your posts! I just love this! Such a great idea and easy!

    ReplyDelete
  18. PS- I SO know what you mean about stuff not photographing well! :( At least you can enjoy its beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi, Just want to let you know I highlighted your tutorial on my wedding blog today. www.theweddinggals.net Thanx for the great info.
    phyllis

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow Amy! That looks great. And so glad you can use something other than looking glass spray because I can't find it either ;-(.

    ReplyDelete
  21. If you do a votive can you actually light a candle in it? Is it flammable??

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment. I read each and every one of them and work hard to respond to all of them that I can.

Add This