Sunday, August 21, 2011

Ssshhh….The Baby’s Sleeping!



It was inevitable in our house.  I’d just get the baby to sleep for her nap and not any sooner than I could get down the stairs, someone would knock on the door or ring the door bell (usually the FedEx guy).  The dogs would go crazy barking and about 10 seconds later, Emily would start crying.
Disaster!
What was my solution?
IMG_6175_thumb1
A super classy hot pink post-it note placed over the doorbell.
I’ve had this on my doorbell for MONTHS now! 
I hated that the note was so……blah.  I mean, it was on a hot pink post-it for cryin’ out loud.  Not cute.  Not to mention, the post-it would fade because of the sun and I’d have to write up another not-so-cute post-it to place over the door bell.
Well, I finally got tired of that whole scene and decided to make something a little more…..cute.  And a little more permanent.  Something that I could use for a while and that *hopefully won’t fade from the sun.
IMG_6142_thumb1
I think it turned out pretty darn cute!
Supplies:
- Plain wood rectangle (Hobby Lobby, 99 cents) or scrap piece of wood
- Krylon spray paint of your choice
- FolkArt antiquing medium
- Silhouette & vinyl or scrapbook letters
- Ribbon or wire or rope to hang your sign with
I started with a plain piece of thin wood board that I bought at Hobby Lobby for 99 cents.
IMG_6146_thumb4
Of course, if you have scrap wood or MDF laying around, that would work as well.
I also bought this antiquing glaze because I knew I wanted to give it some dimension and texture with that “distressed”/antique look.
IMG_6135_thumb1
I took my board outside and drilled 2 small holes on either side for the ribbon to go through.  In hindsight, I wish I would’ve used a larger drill bit because it was kind of hard to get the ribbon to go through those holes. 
Then, I sprayed it with a few coats of Krylon’s Bahama Sea {LOOOOVE this color} in gloss. 
IMG_6181
After the spray paint had completely dried, I brought my board inside and rubbed some of the antiquing glaze on top with a paper towel.  I wiped it off in circular motion right after.  {Sorry I don’t have any pics of these steps.  They’re pretty self-explanatory.}
I then made the text for my words in Silhouette Studio.  If you don’t have a Silhouette, scrapbook stickers would do the trick too.  Here’s after “weeding” my vinyl and getting it ready for placement:
IMG_6138_thumb1
Don’t ask me why it didn’t cut out the word “sleeping” but it didn’t.  No clue why.  I had to go back afterwards and cut that word separately.
I used some contact paper to transfer my vinyl onto the wood board.  I then added my piece of ribbon and knotted it off!
And here she is:
IMG_6141_thumb1
IMG_6142_thumb3IMG_6144_thumb1

So, what do you think?  Mamas, do you have a way you keep the FedEx man from waking your baby up?  I’d love to hear it!
Amy
DIY Club


I am linking up to many of these great parties:



4 comments:

  1. How cute!!! Just one more reason I need a nifty Silhouette...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so needed that when my little one was little! Very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm loving this idea and the sign is so cute. I am pinning it right now for future use!

    I found your blog through the shabby nest link party and I'm a new follower!

    Brie from darlingdoodles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is super cute. Except for I need one that says "we believe in Jesus and we are not buying what you are selling";)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment. I read each and every one of them and work hard to respond to all of them that I can.

Add This