Tuesday, November 29, 2011

DIY Entry Shelf


Hi Friends!!
How was your Thanksgiving??  Mine was so nice!  Family came to our house for Thanksgiving dinner.  But the best part??  I didn’t even have to cook!  My mom made all the food and just brought it over!  Score!!  My cousin and I even did a little Black Friday shopping and I racked up at Toys R Us (for Em) and JC Penny (some new winter duds for me)!
We are in full-on Christmas mode over here.  I have been busy pulling out all the decorations and am slowly getting them all up.  I can’t wait to show you everything when it is finished!!
In the meantime, I wanted to share with you a project that has been a few months in the making!
IMG_6853
Check out my new entryway shelf!! 
And yes, I did just say that it has been a few months in the making!  That’s how we roll around here.  We take our sweet time getting stuff done.  LOL!  smile
I originally saw this shelf over at The Idea Room and fell in love!  It was exactly what I was looking for!  We don’t really have a “foyer”, but there is a small wall leading into our kitchen that was just begging for a shelf, complete with hooks so I could hang my bag, jackets, etc!
The hubs took this project on.  He followed Amy’s tutorial and just scaled the shelf down to fit our wall.  He got it all built and then it sat in our garage unpainted for about a month.  Then, he finally painted it.  Well, one coat.  About 2 weeks later, he finally added another coat of white paint.  Then, about 2 weeks later I finally got around to “distressing” it.  Then about a week or 2 after that, we finally got around to hanging it!  Hah!  Please tell me other people in blogland operate this way too?  Everyone seems to be able to bang out these amazing projects in like a day!  I don’t have a clue how they do it.  But I can promise you even the simplest of projects usually take at least a week over here!  Haha.  I have a very busy toddler who needs lots of attention, so that’s my excuse (and I’m stickin’ to it)!
IMG_6820
Finally all hung up!
IMG_6822IMG_6821
We kind of just eyeballed the hooks and drilled them in once the shelf was hung.  {Sorry for the poor lighting.  It was nighttime.}
Here is a close-up of the distressing.  I just used some stain and dry brushed it on and then went back over it with a damp paper towel.IMG_6851       IMG_6850  IMG_6850
So there ya have it!  The 3 month shelf project (which really should have taken less than 48 hours)!  What do you think?  I’m super happy with how it turned out and it has been so great and functional for me.  I don’t have to just throw my bag on the floor anymore.  Sticky toddler fingers can’t get to it now! 
Thanks so much for stopping by!  I’ll be back later this week to share how I made the decorations that you see on top of the shelf!  Fun stuff!!
sig PNG copy








[IMG]http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m494/amynwaller/sig.jpg[/IMG]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment. I read each and every one of them and work hard to respond to all of them that I can.

Add This