Monday, January 30, 2012

DIY Mini Pallet Valentines Art


Hey, hey, hey!!  Happy Monday!!
I hope you all had a fabulous weekend!  Our weekend was great!  We just hung out a lot as a family, grilled steaks, tried new recipes, played at the park and on the golf course, and just enjoyed time together as a family.  That’s what it’s all about, right?!? 
I also made this super easy and super cute Valentines Day art!  I don’t really get all crazy with my Valentines decorations.  I hang a wreath and a flag on our porch and I put one or two things on the mantel.  But definitely nothing extravagant.  I love how this sign is so simple and subtle and that it doesn’t look too “Valentine-y”!
IMG_7480-1text



I love, love, love the look of pallets in the home.  Pinterest is full of yummy ideas for using pallets in your home from restructuring them to be coffee tables, to beautiful art!  My recent favorite is Jen’s Valentines Pallet Art!  So pretty!
Although I love the look of pallet art, let’s face it…..I don’t have the time or patience to hunt down a pallet, clean it, sand it, paint it, blah…blah….blah!  If you’re new here (hi! and welcome!! and thank you so, so, so much for following along!!), you’ll soon come to realize that I love projects that are 3 things: quick, easy, and cheap!  Oh and it’s gotta be pretty!  Ok, so 4 things!
So while browsing in Hobby Lobby one day, I found these pretty little packages of wood pieces.  They were just wood strips and there were 4 in a package for $2.  I bought 3 packages, came home, and got to work!
Here are the supplies:
  • packages of wood strips from craft store
  • white paint & foam brush
  • vinyl
  • wood glue
IMG_7447-1
I was a little impatient and didn’t get a picture of the wood strips in the actual package, but you can at least see what the package looks like. 
So I just laid out all my wood strips to get the size “pallet” that I wanted.  I saved 2 of the wood strips for the back.
IMG_7450-1

Then I just used the wood glue to glue all the horizontal strips to the 2 vertical strips.  Can you see the “mini pallet” coming together?!IMG_7451-1IMG_7452
Once they were all glued on, I let it dry for about an hour while I did other things.  I came back and got busy painting with some plain white acrylic paint.IMG_7454-1
It took a few coats to get the coverage I wanted.
IMG_7458-1
I don’t have pictures of this step, but I created my saying in Silhouette Studio and cut it out with vinyl on my Silhouette.  Nothing better than a little Jason Mraz lyrics for V-day!
Capture
I used transfer paper to transfer my vinyl onto the “mini pallet”.  And here’s the end result:
IMG_7478-1IMG_7480-1






IMG_7486-1IMG_7484-1

I love how it looks on my console table and is just the perfect touch of Valentine’s!
What do you think?
Thanks for stopping by!
new signature copy

I am linking up to many of these great parties:





25 comments:

  1. Ah so cute! Even more reason to add a Silhouette to my wishlist :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a cute idea Amy!!!! I am with you, quick, easy and cheap. What Silouette machine do you own? I am thinking of getting one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adorable...now I wanna make this. Come say hi at Marriage from Scratch!

    ~Christina
    www.marriagefromscratch.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now this is a size I could handle - plus real pallets are so dirty! Love this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is beautiful!! I totally want one! Thanks so much for linking up to The Creative Spark. I'll be featuring this on Sunday and I've pinned it for future reference! LOVE your blog!
    Jenn :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is really cute. How clever to use these wood pieces. I'll have to check the craft store so I can do my own "pallet" art.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a great project - I hope you don't mind but I am sharing this on my blog tomorrow. Thanks, Laura

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is an amazing project! I hope you will link it up to my I Heart Projects Linky Party.
    http://www.itsybitsypaperblog.com/2012/01/i-heart-projects-linky-party.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. This was awesome! I saw you featured- at two blogs i follow- in a row! I just had to pin this!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This turned out SUPER cute! I love pallet art, and this is beautiful! I'm new to your bog and love it! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am with ya - the pallets are great but seem very time consuming. I am working mom so I need my projects to be nap tie approved. I will have to look for these. I love what you did and there are so many things you can do with them. I would love for you to share this at my party if you have the time - http://www.literallyinspired.com/2012/01/wytbw-can-i-get-do-over.html

    Hope to see you there!

    Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  12. I LOVE this! Especially because I'm with you on the 'loving the pallet look, but no time to find out, sand it, fix it, etc' and I think you came up with the perfect solution! I'm your newest follower- I'd love for you to stop by my blog and follow me back if you'd like.
    Have a great weekend!
    xo,
    Laurie @ Gallamore West :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love this idea...much less time consuming than actual pallets

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love your mini pallet vt's art! very cute and clever! thanks for linking up to catch as catch can, but I noticed that you didn't link back. :(

    gail

    ReplyDelete
  15. I pinned this and it's going to the top of my to-do list! What a clever idea to make pallet art!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is darling! Just pinned it! Thanks for sharing at Sundae Scoop. Your blog is beautiful! xo

    ReplyDelete
  17. We share the same four rules for projects: Quick, easy, cheap, pretty! I love the smaller size - I feel it gives the project a lot more potential in where it can be displayed!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm not sure my last comment was uploaded but wanted to tell you I LOVE your blog and this is totally WOW!!! It fits my idea of a great craft to do also...quick, easy and too cute! You do a great job on your blog and I look forward to seeing what you do next!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow! I just love this! I've been wanting to make a pallet wall hanging of some sort for awhile now...maybe this will get me going. :) Thanks for sharing! I dropped by from the Made by You Monday party.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment. I read each and every one of them and work hard to respond to all of them that I can.

Add This