Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Laundry Room spruce up!

So one of my main goals this summer (so far) has been to organize.  Since we moved into the house in September, I barely had time to get things "settled" the way I wanted them.  It was the beginning of the school year and the wedding was just about a month away when we moved in, so things were a little hectic around here to say the least.  I am finally able to get things kind of how I want them this summer!

I love my house, don't get me wrong.  But one of the MAJOR flaws with this place is the lack of storage.  I literally do not have a hall closet to use as a linen closet or coat closet.  So, all our coats are taking up the guest room closet.  We are fine with this.  But I had a huge problem with linen/cleaning products/lightbulb, etc storage upstairs.  So, we had these 2 old white cabinets from lord knows where.  When we moved, I had taped the doors on one of the cabinets shut (one has doors, the other has drawers) so they wouldn't fly open in the moving truck.  Well, when we were unpacking and I went to pull the tape off the cabinet, it took the paint or varnish or whatever it was right off with it!  So it left me with a pretty ugly cabinet.  The drawers came out fine once the tape was pulled off.  I had these tucked away in a closet for the longest time, but finally moved them into the laundry room for more storage.  Only one problem.....I COULD NOT STAND TO LOOK AT THEM!!!  The missing paint was just driving me crazy.  But I couldn't get rid of them because they are perfectly useful and I needed them for the storage. 

Ok, ok.....I'll stop blabbing and show you how hideous they were so you can empathize with me!




See the missing paint and how it looks kind of gray on the front??  Oh and not to mention the missing knob!!  Just hideous, I tell ya!

Long story short, one day while browsing in my favorite store, Target, I came across some really cute green and white contact paper.  It had a really cute design and was my favorite color green!  Not to mention, it was a huge roll for only $5!  So, I snagged it and ran home to start covering these ugly cabinets.  I measured out my cabinets and cut the contact paper into pieces big enough to cover the doors and the front of the drawers. 

Here is how they turned out:

1st drawer is done!



Much better!



I even found a cute basket to hold the starch, detergent cup, and iron when not in use.


So there ya have it!  I still need to go pick up a white knob to put on the right side drawer, but these bad boys look so much better.  Inside the drawers I put extension cords, lighbulbs, extra flashlights, etc.  In the cabinet with doors, I put cleaning supplies for the bathrooms upstairs, lint rollers, etc.  Super handy and functional!

Yay me!

On another note, we are headed to South Florida to visit friends and family.  I'm just super excited about getting to go to Ikea.  I've already started my list of things we need to get there.  It's kind of long.  Whoops.  I wish we had an IKEA closer.  The closest one is 4 hours away.  But, at least I get to go each time we visit South Florida!  Hooray!

Have a fabulous 4th of July weekend everyone!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment. I read each and every one of them and work hard to respond to all of them that I can.

Add This